Skip to main content

The Ritual Slaughterer (Shochet)

She had help, usually a black lady kitchen maid, whose name was usually, Elizabeth, Mary or Lydia and a black gentleman by the name of John, but mostly she did the work. Their function, as far as I could see was so that they were people that “Ma” could shout at when things didn’t go right or when a dish got broken, or when the food got burnt.
There were many things, I learnt from bitter experience that could go wrong in ma’s kitchen and bring the wrath of Ma down like the shrieking of a shot hyena.                                                                       
Ma didn’t hesitate to let the culprit know how she felt. It was an anomaly of the era that criticizing was acceptable, in those funny days but complements were not so well received.
Nobody gave complements. If you thought some good thought about someone you kept it to yourself. If you have some criticism you spoke it out.
Today I realize that this was a very weird characteristic of life as I lived it. The result was that I always felt guilty, even if I wasn’t. I was guilty for breaking a plate, guilty that the car didn’t start. I came to the ridiculous, irrational conclusion that all bad things that happened were my fault, even things like bad weather. I learnt to live with guilt and I stored it up like a miser stores up gold.
If guilt was gold today I’d be multi-millionaire.
I really loved our kitchen. Even as I lay in my cozy bed in the middle of the night or early before sunrise I could hear the stove being opened and closed, the rhythmic kneading of the dough for another lemon cake or some “kichel” (a sort of Jewish cracker you used as a tool to scoop up the delicious chopped herring, one of my favorite dishes).
The really hard kneading was Mom preparing the dough for her famous “kneidlach” ( a ball like biscuit, baked to a deep brown color,  soaked in syrup that dripped off on to your fingers as you ate it.) A good Jewish mother earned her colors by making “kneidlach”. My Ma was a champion Jewish mother.
It might be considered a bit late in the day to give Ma complements, but if she was alive to hear them she’d tell me to stop babbling and go and do my homework.
The busiest times in the kitchen were the day before a festival. I’ll never forget the gorgeous aroma of meat roasting on the one side and a cake baking in the oven on the other. A big chunk of red Meat, blood draining off, was being soaked and salted on a big wooden board by the sink; ma was plucking out the feathers of a plump turkey, chicken or duck, whose flesh was still warm from a life recently curtailed by the slaughterer (shochet). The poor creature had once roamed happily in our back yard pecking at the corn I had scattered on the ground and saying “gobble, gobble”. Little did that chicken know what his eventual fate would be, but he sure tasted good thanks to Ma’s expert treatment.
It was usually my task to take these birds, while still alive to the ritual slaughterer, tied to handle bars of my turquoise Raleigh bicycle. Once I carried 4 chickens that way.

While the whole house slept the lights burnt in the kitchen showing that “Ma” was still working there until 3 o’clock in the morning. It was like the throbbing heart of the house. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Father's Prophesy

Getting up in the morning was my favorite activity of the day. The white cushion and cozy blankets couldn’t hold me back from rushing to meet the new day. I had spent enough time lying there after waking, gazing through my bedroom window at my beloved plum tree in our garden and listening, through the partly drawn, curtains to the rustling leaves of the giant eucalyptus trees in the park across the road, thinking how pleasantly I could spend my day. Society had other plans; it was time to get up and get ready for school. Without further reverie I jumped out of bed, ran to the bathroom to get ready for the great occasion that started my school day, the morning assembly, my socks pulled up, tie straight and hair combed. I was nearly at the door when my mother called me back:  “Leon!!!! Where do you think you’re off to? sit right down there at that kitchen table and finish your breakfast. Do you hear me? Leon. You don’t go anywhere without finishing your breakfast. It’s on the tab

The typewriter

There was a beautiful, big, black Remington typewriter in my father’s office. It was used by a pretty lady, called Thora. She typed business letters, lists of stock in the shop, accounts and so on. The typewriter was always clicking away, but sometimes I would come into the office, and see the typewriter standing there, unused and silent. This typewriter fascinated me. One day, when I was about 10 years old, during the school holidays, I didn’t have much to do so I climbed on the bus that used to stop near the firestation, near where we lived at 031 Percy Stewart Str and rode to my father’s shop. I entered the office, as was my habit and found the typewriter standing there all forlorn. It may sound ridiculous to most people for a person to be scared to do such a paltry thing as to climb on a chair in my father’s office. But it’s a fact that for me it took a lot of courage to sit on Thora’s chair in front of the typewriter and even more courage to start banging on the keys. I was a v

Back to School

She cooked for many people besides us kids and my “old man”. There was the old Mrs Fineberg up there in Leopard Str, old Mrs.Videgas down there at the bottom of Burger str. They used to kiss and hug me when I brought some tasty dish from Ma’s kitchen. I can still recall the delicious soft smell of their face powder and the enticing feel of their soft fleshy bodies as they hugged me. Usually they gave me one of the tasty cakes they’d baked. At first I delivered “Ma’s” food on my bicycle and later I used my dad’s Wolsely and later his green Chev. To this day I confess a special affection for old ladies. I don’t fantasize over them, that activity is reserved for film stars or girls that look like film stars, like Jane Russel in that famous, classic movie “Outlaw”. Under 18’s weren’t allowed in but somehow I managed it even though I was only about 12 years old when it showed at the President Cinema. When I was a young boy of about 14 I thought it was evil and unnatural to fantasi